202106/05/2021 Leica releases a new, universal zoom lens – and launches two lens-and-camera sets for SL-System newcomers Leica Camera AG is expanding the Leica SL lens portfolio with another powerful zoom lens. The Leica Vario-Elmarit-SL 24–70 f/2.8 ASPH. is equally suited to reportage, travel, studio, architectural and landscape photography, as well as portraits, close-ups, and video productions. With its extensive focal range and consistently high light sensitivity of f/2.8, the new addition is the quintessence of a universal lens. Thanks to its excellent price-performance ratio, it also represents a perfect opportunity to upgrade to the SL-System. The two new lens-and-camera sets are also aimed specifically at newcomers to the SL-System, and are therefore very favourably priced.
- 05/05/2021 The jury for the Leica Oskar Barnack Award 2021 has been announced This year, the Leica Oskar Barnack Award (LOBA) enters into its 41st edition. In May, the jury will come together at Leica Camera AG headquarters in Wetzlar, to deliberate and come up with a shortlist of a maximum of twelve series for the main category, and six for the Newcomer category, and to decide on the winners of LOBA 2021.
- 04/05/2021 Firmware version 2.0 for the Leica SL2-S: New features and optimised video mode performance Leica Camera AG releases a firmware update for its most recent system camera, the Leica SL2-S. As a result, the camera will now offer a number of new features – as well as a noticeably improved performance, especially in the field of video recording. These enhancements, which were first announced at the camera’s market launch, are now available to every owner of a Leica SL2-S. They include a new autofocus algorithm that significantly improves focus tracking along with the camera’s eye, face, head and body detection.
- 21/04/2021 Leica Gallery Wetzlar is presenting Arrivals and Departures, an exhibition by the Danish photographer Jacob Aue Sobol The Arrivals and Departures series by Danish photographer Jacob Aue Sobol (born 1976), was produced during his trip from Moscow to Beijing, on the Trans-Siberian Railway. However, there were virtually no opportunities to take pictures along the way, and the atmosphere on the train did not live up to Sobol's expectations. Consequently, he decided to spend a couple of days respectively in Moscow, Ulaanbaatar and Beijing. He was inspired by many new impressions, and photographed landscapes, street scenes and, above all, people he met at the time.
- 21/04/2021 Ernst Leitz Museum Wetzlar is presenting The Eyes of Humanity, an exhibition of works by the US American and Magnum photographer Steve McCurry His photographs tell stories and have made history. At the intersection between reportage, portrait, travel and landscape photography, the US American Steve McCurry (born 1950) has long been considered one of the great photographers of our times. For The Eyes of Humanity exhibition at the Ernst Leitz Museum Wetzlar, the Magnum photographer has personally selected around 90 colour motifs that have special meaning for him, while also offering a wonderful overview of his rich body of work.
- 19/04/2021 Leica CALONOX Sight and CALONOX View For the first time, Leica Sport Optics (Wetzlar, Germany) presents a thermal camera designed especially for ethical hunting: the Leica Calonox. At market launch, the Leica Calonox will be offered in two versions: as an observation instrument – Leica Calonox View – and as a header to mount on a riflescope – Leica Calonox Sight.
- 15/04/2021 Leica and JMGO Partnered Up Elevating Home Cinematic Experience to New Heights Leica Camera and JMGO as a pioneering home cinematic entertainment brand are delighted to announce the start of a strategic partnership. With their cooperation, both companies are setting an important milestone for the future of home cinema entertainment. Together, Leica and JMGO want to take the home cinema experience into a new dimension with innovative and high-quality products.
- 31/03/2021 Chief Financial Officer Dr Thomas Riegler is leaving Leica Camera AG Leica Camera AG would like to announce the following change in the company’s management level staff. Dr Thomas Riegler, member of the Board since 2020 and responsible for Finance, Controlling, Legal & Compliance, IT, Human Resources, Indirect Purchasing and Facility Management, will leave the company at his own request on 31 March.
- 11/03/2021 Leica D-Lux 7 Street Kit: The perfect choice for spontaneous street photography The black-finish variant of the Leica D-Lux 7 is now also available as part of a Street Kit, whereby the compact allrounder is complemented by a hand grip, additional black paracord camera strap by COOPH, and a spare battery. The light-weight set is an ideal choice for travel and street photography alike. For ultimate spontaneity and convenience, the lens is protected by an auto lens cap with an ingenious opening mechanism – which means that the photographer no longer has to remove the lens cover prior to shooting.
- 04/03/2021 Maximum performance in a compact construction: the APO-Summicron-M 35 f/2 ASPH. sets new benchmarks With the APO-Summicron-M 35 f/2 ASPH., Leica Camera releases yet another M-lens whose optical performance can hardly be bettered. As with the successful APO-Summicron-M 50 f/2 ASPH., the designers were given just one brief: to achieve maximum imaging performance without compromise – the only difference being that this time, the lens in question has a moderate wide-angle focal length of 35 mm.